Are you a regular consumer of processed meats like sausages, hot dogs, salami, bacon, and ham? Beware! The World Health Organisation has confirmed that processed meats play a key role in causing cancers such as bowel cancer.
So what is the trouble with processed meat? The answer is in the chemicals used in processing the meat into different products. Processed meat has been modified to extend its shelf-life or change its taste. The meat you are consuming has also been processed under very high temperatures and with lots of preservatives, salt and curries.
But the warning also adds that the greater factors in cancer should not be ignored saying that a bacon sandwich is not as bad as smoking.
Health experts advise that to avoid cancer, people should;
- limit consumption of red meat
- avoid consuming processed meat
- have a diet rich in fibre [such as brown rice, beans, wheat]
- consume lots of fruit and vegetables
- Maintain an adequate body weight throughout life
- Limit the consumption of alcohol
- be physically active throughout life.
Connect for better.